Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Beginnings...

Heya~

I am a relatively normal 16 year old student. I study (relatively) hard, so that I can achieve the expected dream of getting into a university course. Once in a blue-moon, I feebly attempt to get myself a job, so that I can afford to buy things to keep myself materially happy. I watch some TV, I play piano, and pretty much what most people do. The unusual things about me could probably be summarised by the fact that I am quite the otaku, having filled up a small bookshelf in my room with Manga and Anime, as well as spending most of my time playing Kingdom Hearts and Type/Moon's visual novels. I listen to music quite obsessively, and I tend not to bother following the rules of society - except when it allows me to avoid trouble. Other than those few things, I am your completely normal, run-of-the-mill teenager.

Most teenagers might spend their weekends going out with their friends, checking out the movies, going to parties, and some teenagers might just spend it getting drunk and doing drugs, I spend my weekends in a fundamentally different manner. I wake up early, go for a short run, cook myself some miscellaneous breakfast, and start (at the moment) playing Tsukihime. That's for Saturday. Sunday is different. Sunday involves me starting the day in mostly the same way, but after breakfast and a little Tsukihime, my sister and I prepare to go out into the world in our search for one thing: The perfect ramen that Melbourne has to offer.

We have both been to Tokyo, and had ramen a few times while we were there, so we sort of know what we're up against. We'd had ramen in Melbourne a few times before, but we found it quite difficult to find in our area. By the time we'd gotten ourselves to Tokyo, we'd only ever had proper ramen once before! After tasting the ramen in Tokyo, we were determined to find some really good ramen in Melbourne. That was about a year ago.

After almost 12 months of deliberating and procrastination, we decided to actually do something. Springing up from our proverbial lounge-chairs (mine was Fate/Stay Night), we decided that every Sunday for lunch, we would have ramen at a different restaurant, until we'd gone everywhere our legs and public transport could take us. That was about a month ago.

After going out to a few locations and tasting a little of what Melbourne had to offer ramen-wise, I decided to set up this blog...perhaps others can benefit from our ventures. I'm not sure just how many people this blog will reach, but I can hope that it will do some good, helping fellow Melbournians to enjoy the taste and culture that is ramen.

A note on the name of this blog, "Shouri no Ramen", it means "Ramen of Win". English that doesn't really make much sense unless you've spent some time on online forums and the like. I suppose you could translate it as "Ramen that induces the feeling that you've won something when you get it", simply abbreviated as Shouri no Ramen (or SnR, as I'm thinking of referring to it as).


No comments: